Friday, August 31, 2012

The John Rich/Clay Aiken Tweet War, Translated



Well, well, well,  just when I fear this year's installment of Celebrity Apprentice has given us all the material possible for this blog, along comes a silly little tweet war between Celebrity Apprentice Season Four winner John Rich and this year's runner-up, Clay Aiken.  By the time I write this, every gossip column in the universe has reported about the terrible, shocking racist comments Clay made, and a handful, like The Inquisitr, actually bothered to read what he said and have interpreted his comments correctly.

What we have here, I think, is a failure to communicate.  Clearly Clay and John are simply not speaking the same language; Clay is speaking the language of Snark, and John is babbling in the tongue known among both Democrats and Republicans as the language of Deliberate Misleading Opportunism.  (Partisans on both sides know this dialect well.)  Well, in an effort to promote clarity, so that everybody may be properly understood, I would like to offer up the Snark Speech and Opportunism Lingo to Plain English Translator.  Let's turn this thing on and see what these two guys were really saying.

Playing drinking game with my brother now. We drink every time we see a black person on screen at the RNC convention.

Translated:  My brother and I are watching the RNC convention, and we've noticed something really disturbing.  There aren't that many black people here.  If one were to drink every time we saw a black person at this political convention, we'd never get drunk.  Gee, it's a shame that so few people of color see anything of value to them with this group of potential leaders. I think I'll make a joke about it.
 
: We drink every time we see a black person at the RNC//CLAY! You should be ashamed for racist comments like THAT!WOW. 

Translated: Oh, look, Clay used a collection of words that could come across as being a racial slur if used in a manner and context very different from what we had here.  Most notably, he's pointed out that there aren't that many black people at the Republican Convention.  Well, he's attacked the political party to which I am affiliated, so I am going to try to make him look bad by deliberately misinterpreting what he has said.  What?  Everybody does it during an election year.  

Subsequent posts on twitter:  
Translated: Ditto!  Ditto!  If John Rich thinks Clay Aiken is a racist, it must be true! Somebody tell Arsenio! Somebody tell his fans! Somebody tell Obama! The sky is falling, the sky is falling!  
28 Aug John Rich John Rich@johnrich
And to finish it off, hashtags soberasamormon? I thought your charity was for inclusion, not EXCLUSION. What happened?

Oh, goody.  Look.  Starting a fake fight on twitter got us both a lot of publicity.  Good, I like attention.  How can I get more?  I know, I'll imply that his charity is a sham.  That will rile things up!  Nothing to stir up a ruckus like a bunch of angry Claymates. 

My charity is. Why isn't your party? ;-)   

Translated:  Cut the crap, John, you knew exactly what I meant the first time.   But just in case there's any further confusion....

I think that a party that is hoping to represent and lead a country as diverse as America is should not be homogenous as the GOP 

Translated: But really, wasn't I funnier the first time I implied this? 

In the meantime, I suggest that we change the potentially offensive hashtag #negrospotting to the more politically palatable but far less readable #observinginherentracialdemographicinequalities so as to calm all the fluttered feathers on twitter. 

Tweets for twits.  But other than that, Clay, did you enjoy Clint Eastwood? 

8 comments:

  1. This is spot on!! John Rich should read it.
    But, then again, he might not comprehend this either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO good! I've tweeted and facebooked it. Clearly the best coverage of this controversy I've read. You really get it, Recapper. Thanks for putting the truth out there as humorously as Clay put his truth out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always an insightful and funny recap, you rock! John Rich owes Clay an apology.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spot on!!! I always enjoy reading your blogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Testing 123... does this work correctly?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess John Rich does not know how to discuss WORDS, without attacking the person saying them. Great blog. Thanks. Wish JR could see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for getting the facts straight. Anybody who knows anything about Clay knows that he's not racist. He is snarky and it sometimes gets him in trouble, but he means well.

    ReplyDelete