Sunday, July 14, 2013

Rest in Peace, Cory Monteith 1982 - 2013

As my enthusiasm for Glee waned and my tone in writing recaps became increasingly bitter, I decided it was best to set this blog aside for awhile. I knew it would probably take an event of horrific importance to make me return to this particular subject.

I am terribly sorry to say that such an event has in fact occurred.

Glee fans all over the world are shocked and horrified today to hear of the death of Cory Monteith, who played Finn Hudson for four years.

Photo provided by Kristen Dos Santos

Cory Monteith was one of the truly bright lights that kept Glee going, even as the quality of the scripts began to falter.  He was one of the four people playing teenagers on the show (along with Lea Michele, Chris Colfer and Naya Rivera) who brought the level of acting talent required to keep the fans truly invested in the fate of the characters.  Even when I found a script lacking, or I found myself frustrated with Finn's life choices, I was always impressed with the power and the conviction Cory brought to his scenes.

My heart goes out to his family, his friends, and the fans who are as personally invested in Finn and in Cory as I once was in Kurt and Chris. Most of all, my heart goes out to Lea Michele.  I cannot begin to fathom her loss at the moment.

A few of the best Finn Hudson quotes from Glee:

"Showmance."
When I first joined, I thought you were kind of insane. I mean, you talk a lot more than you should, and to be honest with you, I looked under the bed and made sure that you weren't hanging out under there. But then, I heard you sing. I don't know how to say this, but you touched something in me. Right here. 

"The Rhodes Not Taken"
[to Rachel] You're the most talented person I know. Even more than that guy at the mall who can juggle chainsaws. 

"Journey to Regionals"
Rachel: Break a leg. 
Finn: I love you.

Thank you, Cory, for the magic, the music and the memories. 

2 comments:

  1. Hello, it was a nice idea to put a few of Finn's best quotes in this "in Cory's memory" piece. I've just started watching season 4 (they've only started broadcasting it here for about a month) and I wasn't very motivated because I had read your recaps and knew the quality of the storylines had kept going down, but now, I can't even muster the strength to watch.

    I wasn't invested in Finn or Cory in particular, but somehow these characters and the people who play them become a part of your life, even if only on screen once a week. So there is a "mourning" process to go through, so to speak.

    I hope the writers write a kickass first episode to the new season to celebrate Cory's life and contribution to the success of the show. I don't know how the cast, especially Lea, and crew are going to deal with filming the new season and all, but if they manage to, I bet all the original actors will do a fantastic job at honoring Cory's memory. This would probably bring some closure to the fans of the show too. But I really wonder how they are going to handle it, I don't know that I would have the strength to keep playing my character if I were in their shoes.

    He seemed like a genuinely sweet guy and it strikes me how pro he seemed to be despite his personal struggles. I hope that his story will inspire people who are fighting a similar battle and will show them how things can be turned around. And hopefully the fact that it ended too early will make them that much stronger in their own battle.

    Jane Lynch said that she didn't think Cory had ever left a day unlived. That's all you can hope for and if it's true, I'm glad that he made the most of the days he had on this earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another one: "What's that saying? The show's gotta go all over the place, or something." Oh, Finn.

    I'm glad to see you posting again. I always looked forward to reading your Glee recaps (though I can certainly understand why you stopped). I read your Celebrity Apprentice recaps in 2012, too, since we were both watching for the same reason.

    Back to Glee, I suppose you know that the character will pass as well and 5x03 will be a tribute episode. I didn't always like the way they wrote Finn, but Cory always did his best with what he was given. I wish he'd had more scenes with Chris; they worked so well together. Their last scene was in 4x04: "Give me a hug before I go." ;__;

    Don't screw this up, Ryan Murphy!

    --Another Kurtsie and Clay fan :D

    ReplyDelete